PortEV Forum Index PortEV
Electric Vehicle Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weatherproofing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art Marquardt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Weatherproofing Reply with quote

To all:

The back of our E-10 has gotten a lot of slush and snow when parked and driven outside. The snow and the rain will not go so we are worried about the water around the rear battery compartment. When my brother came home the other night there was a couple inches of snow starting to melt on top of Anderson connectors. The controllers had moisture on them and there was standing water on top of the battery compartment. My question; do I need to weather strip the area between the bed and the cab as well as the anderson and other connectors and if so any ideas?

Art
ThomasHudson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. A few years ago Solectria sent out a service advisory that recommended filling the Anderson connectors and various controller signal connectors with non-conductive grease in order to prevent corrosion from road salt etc. Mine never looked too bad and I wasn't nuts about having to deal with the mess so I didn't bother, but actually since that time I have seen one 25-pin connector on my E-10 suffer from corrosion. The E-10's connectors seem more exposed than those on the Force; maybe this advice should be followed.

I would think that if you did this, you wouldn't have to worry about weatherstripping so much because the moisture would be kept out of the connectors. Then again, the last time I did some work on my rear battery box, there was a ton of granite chips on top of the battery box from where it had spilled between the cab and bed when the skid steer loaded it. Maybe some foam weatherstripping there would keep that area somewhat cleaner...

Art Marquardt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Weatherstripping Reply with quote

Tom:
Thanks for responding. That is pretty much what I had in mind, with a caveat the top seal idea is good but slush seems to be coming in from the side too, also will this block air flow. The corragated plastic shield is only sealed at one side and the sides are open at the bottom.
My thought would be to put a plastic bag around the connectors with cable tie or tape and then a twist tie on the other end. As to the seal between the cab and the bed use a V shaped piece of sheet metal or better shallow aluminum channel stock with foam or better vinyl gasket to seal that final little bit. The point of that would be that gravel chips or water or snow would run off to the sides and away from the truck in general. This still leaves the side issue? I guess I will start with the most obvious problem, first the connectors.
Art
Art Marquardt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: More on weatherproofing Reply with quote

EV'rs:
It snowed again yesterday and today. However, it was not as big a problem for our E-10 under the bed. Because before getting extreme I decided on an interim fix. First I lubricated the connectors with silicon dilectric grease. Second I took a six foot piece of foam insulation for 1/2" copper tubing and wedged it down between the top of the bed and the back of the cab. It isn't pretty but it works. If I did it over I would use 3/4" copper tubing insulation because it's a little larger. Plans are in the works for a better fix but for now expediency trumps esthetics.

Art
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kind of thinking along the lines of plastic wrap around the connectors with rubber bands at each end to seal out the water. Or if nothing else, see if I couldn't find some shrink wrap material that could be wrapped and heated to seal them off. For the issue of standing water on the battery cover, I cut a piece of foam slightly thicker than the clearance between the batter tops and the cover and placed it on the center battery. That lifted the cover slightly in the center creating a slight drainage from the cover and I never get any standing water any more. I'm not too worried about water on the controllers, just on the connectors. But since I don't have standing water, that isn't as critical. I haven't seen snnnnoooww here yet, but will see what happens then.

Plug in the cord... not the pump!
Art Marquardt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Weatherstripping Reply with quote

Major:
That foam idea sounds good as long as nothing can splash up from the sides into the battery compartment. I might consider that. The shrink wrap idea is good I saw an ad somewhere for heatshrink tape. The problem with me is that I will have to get to the connectors on a routine basis so it has to be easily removable. A heavy plastic bag open at both ends then sealed on one end with a removable tie on the other would afford quick disconnect access. Imagine something like a CV joint boot or better one of those explosion proof electric plug boots used to plug into a live outlet.
Art
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PortEV Forum Index -> Solectria E-10 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: