PortEV Forum Index PortEV
Electric Vehicle Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amp hr meter problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Amp hr meter problems Reply with quote

My Solectria Ahr meter just went out. I noticed upon entering the truck that the cover was on the truck bench seat and the meter and red and green lites (Amps in or out of batt pack) were out. I think the cover got blown off by some malfunction while I was not in the truck.
So far I did find that the related fuse at the firewall was out, but replacing it didn't do anything. Related or not, I also found one loose orange wire at the back of this meter (which I tightned) and the grey wire wasn't connected at all. The problem is I don't know where it connects at the back of the Amp hr meter. If any of you have the time to take out your console, flip it over and tell me the order of the colored wires, I'd really appreciate it. What I know, from left to right...it's red, black, green, white, 6 empty terminals, then orange. Maybe the next one is supposed to be grey? I'll send a picture if you need more clarity.

My concern is that it also might have blown the internal workings. But getting the wires in the right place would be a good start.

Thanks everyone.

Jacob Harris
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY COW! How would it blow the cover right off??? That would have taken an absolutely HUGE power serge. There is no way your charger could have done that. Do you have kids? Or was somone in the truck? Wow. It almost sounds like someone was trying to vadalize it.

Anyway, the gray goes to the right of orange in the next terminal. The orange and gray are for the backlight. Are you sure its grey? It might be brown. All 6 wires should go to a 6 pin Molex under the console. Check that connector and see if there is actually a brown wire or gray one. If it's gray, go with it.

I'd like to see a picture of that. I guess if the wires were a little loose they could have shorted, but the amps are so low at the meter I can't imagine how they could have caused such damage. Were there any burn marks or scortching?

Plug in the cord... not the pump!
ThomasHudson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also stunned that something like this could have happened. It does sound like possible vandalism; I've never heard of anything like this happening (not that it's impossible).

I'd really like to see a photo! Shocked

Jacob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Amp Hr meter Reply with quote

Ok, I won't rule out vandalism yet, because, I didn't mention the oddity that I also discovered that the passenger side window crank handle is now bent out of shape. And I didn't notice that before.

But why would the meter not be working, and the fuse blown, and after replacing it - it still doesn't work? If the gray wire in the back is only for back lighting (and that doesn't make sense to me either since it's an lcd, then it shouldn't matter if it's connected.

Jeff from your description, the gray is the last terminal on the back of the Amp hr meter then? I tried to attach a picture here but it didn't t work. But it all looks normal. And the insides looked normal too, no burn spots or obvious blown parts.
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you are describing, I would bet that someone was attempting to vanalize or take something from the truck (or just take the truck). Got in through the passenger side and while crawling in hit the console with a knee and knocked the AH meter out of whack. Noticed that they couldn't just drive it away and gave up. A major knee to the AH meter may have killed it besides loosening the wires.

The meter is an LCD but it has a back light for reading it at night.

In order to test it, you may have to take the console out and look inside to make sure that none of the other wires aren't pulled loose. There are a lot of excess wires, but the ones connected to the AH meter are then connected to a 6 pin molex which is then routed out through the firewall to the DC fuse box.

But, yes, the gray is connected last to the AH meter. Once that is in place, try turning on the lights to see if the back light works. If all the other meter backlights come on... you get the picture. Anyway, start by checking that. You may want to check all the fuses in the DC fuse box to see if any others may be blown from a short in the wireing when whoever got into the truck.

Do you park it outside? It is very possible someone wanted an electric of their own.

Plug in the cord... not the pump!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PortEV Forum Index -> Solectria E-10 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: