PortEV Forum Index PortEV
Electric Vehicle Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Other E-10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: My Other E-10 Reply with quote

I got my other E-10 running again today. It is now officially a 120V E-10. I got two new controllers from Craig Childers in California. He gave me a good deal on them. Anyway, they were set for 120V Saft NiCad battery system. The truck has 12 Stowaway 105AH batteries so I took two out of the string and plugged everything back in and vwallah... It works! Wink

I've already sold it to Tom's neighbor to the north up in Shaboygan (sp), WI. I think he got a good deal because I did all the work getting it running! Confused I am going to deliver it in two weeks so pray for good weather over the Columbus Day holiday weekend.

If any of you guys out there are wondering about the possibility of Craig having high voltage controllers, I asked and he doesn't. Sorry. He does have a couple of chargers set for Saft NiCads at 120V. They are NLG412 chargers, but when Solectria or whoever asked for them to be set for the NiCads, Saft required the chargers be "fixed" at that charge cycle so that no one could change it. They are not changable according to Craig. Too bad... I think he has 10 or more and doesn't know what to do with them.

Plug in the cord... not the pump!
ThomasHudson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For heaven's sake, we need to see if Craig wants to unload some of those chargers! I'd buy like four of them -- there are two sections in there, a logic section (which is the part set up for Safts) and an analog section, which is the part that does all the charging work.

If your charger dies, the part that's most likely going to go bad is the analog part, and if we have a stock of spare chargers, we can cannabalize them as needed to keep ours running. That analog section is the same for Saft and lead-acid versions. And actually, I believe the logic board only has minor differences, mostly a different ROM. In a pinch, we could get that working for lead-acid profiles as well!

Jeff, do you want to contact Craig, since you have already dealt with him, or do you want to give me his email address and I'll see if I can talk him out of those chargers?

ThomasHudson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, I've been crazy busy here and just noticed the RS-422 converter sitting here -- Was that truck's controllers what you were looking to reprogram to 144V with this converter?

If you still want to try that let me know. I still haven't picked up the connector I need for it but can do that this week.

It would be nice if you could get the truck working at the standard 144V - More power and range.

MajorWilson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, first, I think I'll see if Craig wants to unload those chargers. I might be able to get them for a decent price. I'll call him tomorrow and see what he would want for them and let you know.

Second.. I used the controllers as they are at 120 volts. I would need to change some of the settings because they allow the bats to go to 90 volts before the limp mode kicks in. They also allow a pretty high voltage of about 154 volts. I guess the Saft bats can take more overvoltage than lead. I added 8 more batteries for a total of 20 in two strings of 10. That gives it 210 amp hours so I think range will be quite good. If you remember, when I first had my truck going I was using just 12 batteries and could go 30 miles on them. With these 20 batteries, I would expect it to get at least 45 - 50 miles since it has a lot of 25 KWHours available to it now. Our 144 volt systems only have 21 KWHours.

I took the truck for a ride today. Kind of dissapointing. When I ran the motors on jack stands, the worked just fine. When I took it off the jacks and went for a ride, it had a lot of trouble. When I first backed up, it was lugging hard and fighting itself. When I put it in forward, it bucked a few times and then took off. It actually pulled a lot of amps and had a lot of power at the 120 volt range. It ran fine in forward but when I went to back up again, it bucked and kicked and had a hard time backing. I put it in forward again to park it, and it bucked a few times and then took off.

Any idea what the bucking is all about? I'm wondering if the phase switches are set the same.

ThomasHudson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if we can get those chargers, it would be really smart to have them as a parts supply or loaner pool. See what kind of a deal he wants!

Wow, no, I haven't had experience with that kind of bucking, But I suppose ot could be a speed sensor in one of the motors -- Or a bad connection to the controller in those two D connectors. I'd re-check the connections there. And I'm not sure what happens if the three power cables to the motors from the controllers are out of order -- That might be something to look at as well.

Yes, the Saft batteries have a much higher top-end voltage. My 156V pack can go all the way up to around 210V during charge -- I was kind of amazed by that.

MajorWilson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got a couple weeks to figure it out before I make delivery of the truck to Sheboygan. By the way, mind if I stop by on Sunday the 13th on my way home?

ThomasHudson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I'll be here on the 13th -- We may be in Michigan! I'll know more later this week. But if I'm here, you MUST stop in! Razz
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Let me know when you find out about Mich. I'd really like to stop by.

I talked with Craig about the chargers. He wants just $500 each. They are virgin and not used. He said he opened up one to see what Brusa did to fix the charge algorithm. It looked to him like they jumpered a couple of things to keep from allowing any changes to the control cycles. I think with setting one side by side with one of ours, one could reverse engineer them to make them work again. It might be worth the $500. If nothing else, the parts alone for replacement of the charge stuff would be worth that much.

I think I'm going to get one. Craig said that if we figure out how to hack them he would like to know so he can change the rest.

Are you interested?

ThomasHudson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we'll be here on the 13th, Jeff. Looking forward to meeting you in person. We can show you some real Wisconsin hospitality -- You like beer and brats? Rolling Eyes

Yeah, I'd like two of the chargers. How does Craig want to do this?

MajorWilson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll find out from him. I'll also call you next week for directions. Beer and Brats sound great! Very Happy

MajorWilson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update...

I delivered the "other" E-10 on Thursday. It was a long drive from Nashville to Shuboygan but the Dodge Ram made it in one piece. The new owner, Art Marquart, is very happy to have it. His brother David will be driving it most every day to work so it will get lots of tender loving care. They put a special 220v line in the garage just for the truck and it has it's own parking spot in the garage. Art will be joining the forum next week when I get home and can email him the link.

I'm in Green Bay right now getting ready to head south to go home... with a short stop in Port Washington. Wink I'm looking foward to seeing the Obey Whan of E-10s. Smile Kind of like finding the grail if you know what I mean.

Well, time for me to hit the hey. I've got a long drive tomorrow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PortEV Forum Index -> Solectria E-10 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: