PortEV Forum Index PortEV
Electric Vehicle Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First drive to work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: First drive to work Reply with quote

Well, today was the day. I have broken my batteries in enough to be able to take the truck to work. Smile I work 12 miles from home and at rush hour traffic speed between 45 and 65 I only used 13AH. I have a short 1.5 mile drive to the freeway and then only a block off the freeway to work. I was amazed at the low usage! That was WAY better than I had even hoped for. In fact it used less on the freeway than the alternate 14 miles going back roads from 20 to 40 mph! Not really sure how that works, but it really suprised me. Very Happy

I don't even have to worry about charging at work anymore. That is just amazing! Laughing

Of course, as soon as I told someone at work that had wanted to see the truck, I was in and out of the parking garage doing show and tell all morning! I haven't gotten a bit of work done all day! Sorry to all of you for wasting your tax dollars today. I'll work harder tomorrow to make up for it.

Plug in the cord... not the pump!
ThomasHudson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! Did you ever troubleshoot the power dropout that you were experiencing?

Trust me, as gas prices continue to climb, you may lose even more productivity to coworkers' curiosity!

276V Phil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Last edited by 276V Phil on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I never did find any problems with the power drop. It hasn't ever happened again and I've driven it over 200 miles since. I drive it every day now and narry a miss.

Interesting trip to work this morning... I used over 1 AH less today than yesterday going the same route to work. In fact, I drove faster over part of the trip than yesterday because traffic was moving better. Is that just the batteries getting broken in better or was something just a little different? I wonder because a whole Amp Hour is like driving one less mile on just a 12 mile trip.

But I'm not complanin!! Laughing

ThomasHudson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the #1 factor I've found in driving efficiency is headwind vs. tailwind. It may sound stupid, but it's true -- On one of my trips in the truck, I saw a major difference in energy usage coming and going, and the only factor I could nail it down to was the 15MPH headwind going, which became a tailwind coming home. And I was carrying more weight coming home (about 600 pounds of soil!) As far as the truck was concerned, even though it was only going 45MPH groundspeed, it was fighting wind resistance it would usually have had going 60MPH.
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting and probably the reason. If I remember, yesterday we had a strong head wind on the way to work but this morning it was still. That would have meant the difference between ground speed of 60 + head wind of 10 to 15 vs. ground speed this morning only at 65.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PortEV Forum Index -> Solectria E-10 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: