PortEV Forum Index PortEV
Electric Vehicle Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I broke a belt... and found out something intresting...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: I broke a belt... and found out something intresting... Reply with quote

On Thursday at work, I broke one of my drive belts, when switching from reverse to forward, after backing out of a parking space...

The motor was happily spinning (at around 60MPH according to the speedometer). After regen breaking it to a stop. I took off the belt box cover and removed the broken belt. (It was the inside one, which means I need to take the other belt off to replace it).

I then disconnected the controller to the motor with the missing belt.

And tried to drive... I could only pull 20 amps from the battery no matter, what power setting.

I then thaugh that perhaps something was wrong with that controller, and so I cossed all the cables over and ran the motor off the other controller, but it had the same problem.

I then connected the motor back to its orignal controller... I unplugged the DB25 from the controller that was not powered, and still got the same problem.

I then (on a whim), connected the unplugged controller back to power and connected the DB25 back in, and then unplugged the 3 red, white and blue power pole connectors and DE9 encoder connector from the motor with out the belt on it.

And it worked fine after that. I was able to drive home on one motor on the "normal" power setting, with a max speed of 45MPH.

So after an hour in the the dark, in 40 degree weather, with 20MPH winds, I was happy to find that the heater still worked. ;)

I am guessing that this is not how it should work, and that you should not need both controllers plugged in.

I think I have a grounding problem and the control signals must be getting grounded thru the other controller.

It still has the orignal rusty connectors... So I currently looking for some sheilded IDC DB25 and DE9 connectors. Hopefully that is all thats wrong...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PortEV Forum Index -> Solectria E-10 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: