PortEV Forum Index PortEV
Electric Vehicle Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

huge performance drop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: huge performance drop Reply with quote

So I was driving to work today on the "normal" power setting, when I noticed that I could only pull 100 amps from the battery... Which was a bit odd, since I can normaly pull 150 amps...

Note: Work is only 10 miles from home and I recharge all day while at work.

So after work today I drove it home and then drove around for a while till I hit "limp home mode" Then pulled it into the garage with the heater, and fan on high, with the high beams on. (to put a load on the batteries).

I then opend up the battery boxes and measured the voltages on the batteries.

A = 10.91, 11.00, 12.30, 10.83, 11.10, 9.74, 12.27, 12.25, 12.25, 12.21, 12.21, 8.51

B = 12.00, 11.89, 11.70, 12.25, 12.06, 12.37, 12.35, 11.23, 12.53, 7.23, 12.69, 9.75

C = 12.12, 12.13, 11.99, 12.23, 11.10, 12.11, 11.66, 12.19, 12.04, 10.71, 9.26, 11.87

I was surprised to see how crappy these batteries are, they are not even close to each other. The ones under 10 volts where realy hot and are probably damaged.

They are still under warrenty so I am going to see if they will replace the damaged ones, and what they have to say about the performance of the other ones.

For now, I will let the truck recharge, and when its done, move all the bad batteries into the front battery pack, since its much easier to get into then the back one.

I got the batteries from: http://www.powercellbattery.com/
So don't buy any from them...

ThomasHudson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yow. That's some difference -- Something isn't right with a few of those. Definitely see if you can get replacements. Putting the replacements in can be a little tricky -- Just be sure they're all charged up and the pack is all charged up when you put them in so everything is equalized. What particular model battery are you using, BTW?
Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the PC-40 batteries.

I e-mailed them and got no responce, so then I called the next day...

They said there battery engineer is in china, and will be back on Tuesday.

So I need to check back then... I am trying to get my money back on them, since they don't work in this application.

Dispite the e-mails I have from them (thier battery engineer) that did all the math to make sure that they would work.

That's why I try to do everything with e-mail, you have a written record when things go bad. ;)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PortEV Forum Index -> Solectria E-10 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: