PortEV Forum Index PortEV
Electric Vehicle Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air conditioner low on 134a

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art Marquardt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Air conditioner low on 134a Reply with quote

Perhaps someone can help:

The A/C has worked OK this summer untill now. Everything runs but it does not get cold. When I put my hand on the sensor on top of the dryer it turned and some gas escaped. It should not have been that loose. The window above the dryer appears dark when off and green flows through with bubbles when on. My question is can I just add some 134a without getting too involved. Or do I have to take it to an A/C guy. Is there any documentation on these units; manual, parts list, manufacturer, pressure levels, etc?
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Art. I don't know of any manuals. They used the stock AC system so if you can come up with a maintenance manual for the S-10, you can probably figure out the pressure it is suppose to be at. The question is, do you have the right equipment to add the right pressure? If not, any maintenance shop should have the skills to fill your freon for you. Smile

Plug in the cord... not the pump!
Art Marquardt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: DIY adding R134a Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Major we solved the problem by going to Advance Auto and picking up some replacement R134a. What is interesting is that it came in a convienient container with a hose and small gauge with snap on hose fittings. The container is about a foot long and you run the AC while using it, shake it up good and attach to the low side port, it gives you pressure readings that show the level of the refrigerant in the system.
You can add refrigerent as needed. It worked amazingly well. This is not a fix for real problems but does seem to work for systems that are just low on refrigerant.
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked Art. Now I guess I'll have to try mine. My biggest problem right now is replacing two mosfets in my A/C controller. Confused

Plug in the cord... not the pump!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PortEV Forum Index -> Solectria E-10 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: