PortEV Forum Index PortEV
Electric Vehicle Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keep Controllers Dry

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Keep Controllers Dry Reply with quote

I'm moving the topic of wet controllers to a new subject for a cleaner thread...

One of the problems that I saw early on with my truck was the fact that the controllers sat on a relatively flexible base and it allowed water to puddle under the truck bed and the controllers then sat in that puddle of water. It just didn't seem smart to me to let them sit like that.

When I replaced the batteries, I noticed that the box cover with the controllers on it flexed as much as 3/4 of an inch in the middle. That's a lot of water to sit in during rain.

I decided that when I put the new batteries in, I would figure out a way to keep the cover bowed up so water would drain away.

What I did was this:
With the cover off the box, I measured from the top of the batteries to the to of the box. To do this I placed a straight edge on top of the box and measured down to the center battery. I don't remember exactly what that measurement was but it is about 2 inches. I took some closed cell packing foam and cut two small blocks on my band saw that were 1/4 inch thicker than the distance from the battery top to the box top. I placed the two blocks on the center most batteries with a small dab of hot glue to hold them in place. When I bolted the cover back on, I took a hose and ran some water on the cover just to make sure it didn't pool on top of the battery box. It didn't so I bolted the controllers back down and then tried the water again. Still no pooling. I have driven in some really heavy rain here in Nashville and when I get home and look between the truck bed and the cab, I have never seen any standing water. It's a simple fix and I probably should have posted it a long time ago.

Good luck all...

Plug in the cord... not the pump!
terryjm1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did something very similar. The only real difference is that I shaved down a few 2X4s. I now get no puddling. Like Jeff, I dont know why I never mentioned this previously. Perhaps it was because I always viewed it as a temporary fix. I like Jeff's method better.
abredschneider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: New kid on the block with message for the Major Reply with quote

Hi, My name is Arnie and I purchased an S-10 (Title said S-14????) with the 276 volt battery pack. Drove it for two weeks and everything seemed ok but once in a while it hesitated when starting out and I would have to come to a complete stop and go again. Then it would usually go just fine. Lately, it started doing it more often until it finally quit. When I start out now it lurches a lot and then won't go at all. It will creep around slowly, however, so I can al least move it around into the workshop. I at first thought it might be a controller problem, but in reading your postings I think I will chase down that connector to the control console first. (always hoping for the easiest fix first) The really interesting thing about your posting....YOU HAVE A SCHEMATIC????? I would LOVE to get my hands on a schematic!! Is yours a 276V also? Whats chances of my getting a copy of a schematic? I can be reached on my cell phone most of the time at 734-216-0083
Arnie

terryjm1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schematic for the main motor controller? No, dont have that. I have a hand drawn schematic of the air conditioning controller, but that will be of no help to you.

You may have a high voltage relay problem in your controller. In the past Soelctria/Azure could make that repair. But the last time I communicated with them I was told they would no longer offer repair service for the UMOC as they have no parts. They now only seem to want to sell/service/repair the DMOC line.

I would say the first step is to see if the problem only occurs with one of the controllers. Unplug one of them and see if the problem goes away. Then try the other controller by itself. If it only happens with one controller and not the other, try switching controllers. If the problem follows the controller, you probably have a controller issue. If the problem is isolated to one motor/circuit then you are in luck and the problem is not the controller, but another component. The controllers are by far the most expensive component to replace on the truck. And to add insult to injury, they need to be replaced in matched pairs. You should not use a UMOC340 paired with a UMOC445 or a DMOC.

I have never had a speed sensor problem, but your symptoms may also point in that direction. There is another forum member that is well versed in the speed sensor operation. I cant remember who that is though. Search all the posts. I think this has been discussed here previously.

And yes, if I am to whom you refer, my E10 is a 276 volt model. At first it was a little frustrating being one of the very few high voltage E10 owners, but it seems that parts for the higher voltage systems are more available in used form if you know what and where to look.

MajorWilson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arnie, your problems sounds more like a speed sensor problem since it started getting worse over time. Sounds like your sensor was rubbing and wore off the sensor bars.

Terry was correct, someone did have a speed sensor problem a while back. They are not too difficult to work on since they are at the back of the motor rather than the shaft side. Be very careful putting it back together as the fit must be exact. Too tight and you rub the bars off and have to do it all over again.

First try disconnecting one motor at a time to see if one works and the other doesn't. That will narrow down the possibilities a little.

MajorWilson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arnie, Way back in one of the older subject lines Jacob had a speed sensor problem that sounds a lot like what you are experiencing. Take a look and contact Jacob to see if you can get any pointers.

abredschneider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt replies and the helpful hints, guys. At least this gives me some more direction on where to look. Hadn't considered the speed controller. Hope to get to it all this weekend. Will let you know.
Arnie
abredschneider@hotmail.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PortEV Forum Index -> Solectria E-10 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: