PortEV Forum Index PortEV
Electric Vehicle Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy to be driving an EV.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Happy to be driving an EV. Reply with quote

Good day all
It is great to find this site thanks to Jeff Wilson. I've been reading about some of the problems. I feel lucky, I don't have any. I bought my 96 S-10 from Jeff Simpson June 05. Thank you Jeff. I drove it home from the shippers and have driven it to work every day except one since I got it. Fuse burned out in my charger.
I got new tires put on at a place near my work. Work is 13 miles one way. When I went to pick it up it had been driven 27 more miles. I think all the mechanics took it for a ride. I drove it 13 miles home. I could not make it up the last hill. I let it sit and after an hour I got it home and up the drive. I now know if I abuse it it will go 43 miles using 38 amp-hours. I knew the batteries were not new. I now have at the insistance of my wife a generator bolted to the bed. I've run some tests. It charges while I drive. Looks a little odd having this power cable coming out of the bed and plugged into the open fill door. I hope that the only time I need it is if we loose power in the house or its monthly service run.

MajorWilson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jay! Welcome aboard!
Nice truck! I've spoken with Jeff Simpson many times. He and I (and one other guy in Phoenix) share the commonality of having the only Green E-10s in existance I believe. He told me that your E-10 (originally Don Buckshot's) was in perfect condition when he got it. He was going to take it apart and make a car out of the parts. When he got it, he just couldn't bring himself to tear such a perfect E-10 apart so he sold it again. He bought 2 E-10s from the same guy in Phoenix as I did and he's going to take them apart and make one car from the mix of parts on the two inop trucks. Not a bad deal.

I'd like to see a couple of pictures of the generator setup you have to see what kind of operation it would take to make it work for me. What kind of power does it provide? How many amps will it put out and at what voltage? If it is only 110, that may be why your charger pooped out. NLG412s don't much like 110. Its logic seems to make the one side work too hard and burn out (so I've heard). I haven't tried it myself.

You've got to watch those repair shops. They have no idea about killing the batteries. When I took mine in to get new tires, the shop wouldn't let me drive it in the bay, "Just leave the keys, we'll get to it". I told the manager if he could get in it and in a few seconds figure out how to drive it he could drive it in. If not, I would have to drive it and his policy would have to be broken. Otherwise, I told him I was going down the street to another tire shop and he could just cancel the order. He looked in it, then sat down and turned the key. He asked how to start it and I said, "let me drive it so you don't break it". He gladly let me. I guess for $350 in tires, he was willing to break his rule just this once. I'm sure I would have been limping home had I dropped it off and showed them how to drive it.

Plug in the cord... not the pump!
ThomasHudson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Jay!

Jeff Simpson was instrumental in helping me get my E-10. When I got my Force, Jeff was the midwest Solectria rep. We had a lot of good conversations, I visited his place in Kansas, where he had an electric Porsche -- extremely cool.

When I found out about the E-10 the government was selling in Nevada, I mentioned it to Jeff. He was going to Vegas and offered to go by the place and check the truck out for me to be sure it hadn't been really wrecked or stripped down or anything. He took his own time and investigated the truck, which he told me was in great shape except for the batteries being dead.

What a great guy.

How did you get your truck to drive with the generator running? Did you disconnect the charger interlock? Normally, driving while charging is impossible due to this feature.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the E-10 -- We wouldn't trade ours for anything.

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Generator Reply with quote

I read "do not drive while pluged in" and somplace else "it will not run while pluged in". I have a long cord and found it would drive up and down my drive while pluged in. Kruspan told me that he did not know of anything in the charger that would prevent its use in this senario. I think it might be to keep people from driving and pulling out the cord and causing damage.
The requirments for my generator were that it can put out a continous 3800 watts at 230V to match the needs of my charger. I have a 5000 Watt generator that does 230V. It is a loud, cheap generator but it works. It doesn't really improve my range much on the freeway at 45 mph if any but around town it provides a noticable increase. I haven't checked but it may not actually charge while it is drawing power from the batteries but I don't know what would cause that. I'll have to get a hi-power inductive current meter to test it during operation.
I was a little concerned that the 20 amps from the charger and the 50 amps from regeneration might trip something but it hasn't happened. I was told by Kruspan that that much power might trip a breaker and require resetting. I don't know where that breaker is.
I work at an electronics firm so I am getting some help understanding how things work. I have talked to some of my cowarkers how I might be able to build a rectifier unit that would take all the power of a generator and turn it into usable 144 volt power, bypasssing the charger when actually using the generator. If I can do this I could use a 10 Kwatt generator. The gel pack of batteries I have prefer a max charge of 30 amps. Two banks 30 amps 144 volts = about 10KW. It would allow direct charging during stop and go traffic. Were also working in a relay that would shift the generator power to the charger if the vehicle is shut off. This ensures that it gets the proper charge cycle. The relay is if we find that we actually have to take the vehicle away from home base. They are also working on another relay that shuts the generator off when it reaches the 4th stage(maintainer stage) of the recharge cycle. These are all in the works stuff by my coworkers that seem to be enjoying my truck as much as me. I don't know if it will all be completed as they loose interest. I haven't sold any of them on actually buying an electric.
But I do have a cowork that is very interested in diesels and bio diesel. So if he gets that going were going to work on a very cheap hybred. Lots of things in the works and nothing completed but it's all fun.

Jimmy Argon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Generator Reply with quote

Jay,
Welcome. I think I am another - other guy in phoenix with a green E10. I attached a photo of it in my Caleche yard (at least the weeds dont grow there). When I buy tires I take them off and drag them to the tire store and usually pick them up 2 hours later. It saves a lot of explaining and anxiety. Also, I torque the lug nuts properly (too many warped rotors).
I have an old DC generator that was used in mining and would like to use it to charge in an emergency. The problem is it is a 115 volt and my pack is 150. I am rebuilding the carburator and will test out what voltages I can get. I figure the advantage is that I dont need a charger if I can charge straight off the generator. I have a 1.5M5 see : http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Kohler/KohlerMenu1.htm
has anyone on this list used a DC generator?
When I was 22 miles from work I drove my Voltbuggy both ways with no charge. http://www.dm3electrics.com/ . I now use the truck and am 27 miles from work - just tooo far. My my high tech employer wont let me charge at work (even if i pay them), so I need to look at a generator for about a 5 to 10% charge. Let us know how it works out.
Jimmy

E10s8.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.09 KB
 Viewed:  1210 Time(s)

E10s8.JPG

Jay

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jimmy

My parents live in Mesa. I just moved from Maryland to San Francisco a month ago. Had the truck shipped here.

I've been using the generator off and on for about 6 months. There is a circuit that can keep the charger from operating when the key is turned on. That circuit can be turned off. Mine had already been turned off when I got the truck so I can just plug the generator in and it charges. There is an overload circuit that does stop the charger if to much juice is going in. Such as when the regen is in use. But this only happens during the first few miles, before the batteries have lost a few amp-hrs. A 115 generator will work if it has 2 outlets or you can rewire it. A 230 is simply two 115 with a common ground. Each 115 will draw 16 amps so if your generator will put out approximatly 3700 watts continous you'll be OK. I assumed you have a 3300 watt charger.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PortEV Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: