PortEV Forum Index PortEV
Electric Vehicle Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another E10 to the fold (plus a Ranger)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Another E10 to the fold (plus a Ranger) Reply with quote

Thanks in part to Art's recent posting about an E10 somewhere in Tennessee, I was able to buy not only an E10 (pic attached) but a Ford Ranger as well. Very Happy

Thanks Art! Laughing

They were both from Alabama Power. The previous owner bought them in April 2006 at auction but didn't touch them and had no idea what to do to get them running. That's now my job.

More later. Wink

NEO 5.jpg
 Description:
We named it NEO
 Filesize:  36.17 KB
 Viewed:  990 Time(s)

NEO 5.jpg

Plug in the cord... not the pump!

Last edited by MajorWilson on Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on the process of bringing this E-10 back to life.

I finally got the time to put the new batteries in the new E-10 on Saturday. What a job! My back is toast! I had one problem when I was just about done... I was putting in the last battery and I noticed that there was a strange mark on the top of the one next to it. When I looked close I noticed that the top of the battery was loose. Either I did it installing them or it was loose when I got it, but didnít notice right away. So that LAST battery had to wait until Monday. Luckily, the Deka store was open on Monday so I was able to get a swap out for free.

Anyway, I was able to put the last one in tonight and tighten up all the connections... total voltage: 294v. I buttoned everything up and put the controllers on and plugged everything in. Tried the key and nothing... Of course, that isnít strange. The capacitors have to power up for a while before the initial start up. I started picking up tools and decided to get some jack stands and lift the back so I didnít have to worry about the truck moving when I tried the accelerator. After I got the back jacked up I tried the key again and heard some sound from the motors. However, the tires werenít turning. I ran out of time and energy tonight so I closed it all up and will get at it this weekend and pull the belt cover off the back and see whatís up back there. They may have removed the belts in order to tow the truck. All I can tell at this point is that at least one motor was turning freely when I pressed the accelerator. Very Happy

MajorWilson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more update on my progress on the new E10. I finally got the time to get back to work and tested out the truck this morning. I turned on the ignition and tried the drive again. Lots of noise inside the belt housing. I pulled the cover off and low and behold, TWO TWISTED MESSED UP BELTS!!! Surprised

Apparently, the electric company employee that last drove the truck snapped one belt which twisted into the other and I can see where the sprocket ground into the belt and shredded it. So of course, the truck wouldn't go. He marked the key chain with "inoperative". That was at just over 3600 miles. Embarassed

I took both belts out and the pressed the accelorator and spun up the motors. Got out and looked and both motors were spinning freely and quietly. No grinding or noise at all. Very Happy

So for the price of two drive belts, the electric company set this truck in the broken catagory and never looked at it again. I figure that was probably about 9 years ago and other than a lot of dust, the truck is in perfect condition.

I need to replace the fan blower for the A/C and heater and then test out the A/C system. Other than that, I have a relatively new E-10 (condition)with only 3600 miles!!!! Laughing

MajorWilson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The saga continues...

Last weekend I spent some time trouble shooting the electrical problem and here's what I found.

Of course, there are two controllers. When I connect both controllers I can't get the contactors to close. However, if I disconnect the power leads from one of the controllers, the contactor in the other one closes and I have power to one. The problem is, if I reconnect the power lead the other controller's contactor drops out again leaving me no power to either. This happens both ways.

I also noticed that when I have power to one controller and press the go pedal, as soon as I flip the regen braking switch the power to the controller is interrupted but the contactor is still closed. When I turn the regen back on the power is returned.

My last observation is that I believe the power output of the two controllers is different.

This leads me to the question: Are these controllers linked logically and if so, I may have two controllers that are not programmed alike and so they are shutting off when both have power in order to keep from causing problems between them.

In order to rule this problem out, or fix it, I need the programming module for the UMOC 340 controllers. Anyone have that or at least know where I can find it? I've contacted Azure to check and they are suppose to get back to me but these are very old and Azure may no longer have the program available.

Comments??? Any help with the program?

jagman_xjs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff, would it be possible to copy the program from a good controller?
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got in contact with an engineer from Azure. He let me know that the UMOC controllers don't have a "program". They need to be read using "hyperterminal" that is an internal program in Windows. I just got a new DB9 cable to attach to the controllers so that I can connect to my computer. I'll have to check it out in the next couple days to see how it works.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PortEV Forum Index -> Solectria E-10 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: