PortEV Forum Index PortEV
Electric Vehicle Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jerking on accleration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art Marquardt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Jerking on accleration Reply with quote

Well I have a new to me E-10LS and it has a problem it jerks on acceleration. This jerking is similar to that felt sometimes when regen braking. The only thing is it goes away if you accelerate a little or slow down. In other words a change in the acclerator pedal in either direction fixes it temporarily. It comes back quickly however and is a very consistant problem. I floored the acclerator and used the power controller knob to adjust speed the problem never occurred. The pot appears to test good when measured with my meter of course it is a digital meter and not ideal for spotting a bad pot.

How hard is it to disconnect the pot box is there a connector where it just unplugs?
I would then swap it with the other truck which works fine.
ThomasHudson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pot boxes attach to the ignition boxes under the center console with small 10-pin connectors, IIRC and they are very easy to swap out. I had problems like this and tried driving with the pedal floored and using the console pot to adjust power and that's how I determined that the potbox pot(s) were bad. There are two cables that come from the potbox, one for each controller, so you'll have to do both of them at the same time.
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tom. It must be the pot box connectors if the pot box tests out ok. Solectria used some really cheap connectors in most areas and had problems later as a result. Remember how my truck left me stranded when a connection came loose about 18 months ago? Same deal, bad connector.

Plug in the cord... not the pump!
Art Marquardt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: "Pot Box Jerk" Reply with quote

It is either a new dance craze or a new name for the problem of bad pots.
I swapped out the pot box and no more jerking on accleration. The connector has to be removed to get the wire through the firewall. This one, as opposed to the other E-10 we have, was already broken. They require a deft hand when the plastic gets old and brittle. I will probably replace the connectors but for now it works.

I took the truck to the scales today and found out that the balance is off by 640 lbs to the rear. That's 2550 rear 1910 front curb weight that is a 1/4 ton difference. This probably explains the lightness in steering the steering seems to swerve easily if you don't keep on top of it.

For comparison I believe my brothers truck as currently set up is off by 150 lbs. What do you Think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PortEV Forum Index -> Solectria E-10 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: