PortEV Forum Index PortEV
Electric Vehicle Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Continued problems with A/C motor or Controller?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art Marquardt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Continued problems with A/C motor or Controller? Reply with quote

I have put a set of new MOSFETs' in my A/C Motor Controller. Before the Controller was on all the time and blew fuses. Now The controller has 156VDC at the output but only when the A/C is turned on. However, the motor does not turn. The motor can be turned by hand and the brushs look good. According to the troubleshooting guide in the manual this means the motor is bad. I am not convinced though, there ought to be a way to measure the resistance of the motor or it's windings inside to determine if it is well and truely dead?
The overall resistance at the socket is about the same as the P/S Motors' resistance. Is it possibly for just a short time to substitute one motor for the other as a troubleshooting aid?

Sweating in Wisconsin
Art
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art, try unplugging the motor from the controller and then just connect it to one 12v battery. It should turn slowly if it works. If not, then the motor is burnt and needs to be tested and, like mine, rewound.

When I sent my motor off to Hi-Torque he looked at it and the windings were shorted. The motor has no real insulation from the factory so when he rewound it he insulated it so I won't have that problem again. Its hard to tell which blew first, the mosfets shorted the motor or the motor cause the mosfets to short.

Plug in the cord... not the pump!
Art Marquardt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Motor Reply with quote

Jeff:

Yes I have done that, the effect was that it turned slowly with cogging; I believe the term is. It jerked turned a little jerked ahead turned a little and so on, also it had no power. I could easily stop it with my hand. Only difference is that I hooked mine up to about 48 Volts. Do you have the address and or email of the man you sent yours to?
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Art, his name is Jim Husted. Here's his email address: Jim Husted [hi_torque_electric@yahoo.com]

Plug in the cord... not the pump!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PortEV Forum Index -> Solectria E-10 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: