PortEV Forum Index PortEV
Electric Vehicle Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air Conditioning Motor
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryjm1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped mine at the local "rebuilder" to have it checked over before I install my new/used controller. The following day, we had the worst storms I have ever seen. Most of St. Louis has been without power since. The day after the storms, temps hit 102 degrees. I have been at work (fire departent) until yesterday. That was 72 almost completely sleepless hours in row.

Well, I suspect I will hear about the motor whenever power is restored.

And, as a result of the storm and loss of power, I now own a 5000 watt gas powered generator. I'll be doing some EV experimenting with it. How is that for a silver lining?

MajorWilson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To continue...
I finally got a price from Kevin at Azure. They want $400 plus shipping. Ouch! I'm guessing here, but that is probably at least a 50% markup on the original cost to Solectria. I've priced several other motors like Baldor and they are in the mid to upper $200 range. I figure that by the time my motor gets rewound and shipped, it will cast me about the same as a new one without all the Jim Husted specials on it like thicker bakelite, insulation, new/better brushes and mounts and all the other goodies that Jim likes to put in his rebuilds. I don't think I'm going to foot the bill for the motor. If anyone else wants it, contact Kevin and get a quote. Don't tell him I told you the price. It would be interesting to see if he keeps the same price on this with another query into the motor.

Plug in the cord... not the pump!
terryjm1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not heard from the rebuilder on my AC motor so I called today. They stated it needed brushes and bearings. I can not dispute the brushes as I have no way of knowing their condition. However, the motor seemed to spin quite well and I had not expected this. They ordered the brushes for some other application. I'll see if I can get a part number and post it here. Apparently they had bearings on hand. Hopefully I will have it next week.
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to wait a while on the motor. My wife's only aunt died last week and the motor came in while I was in MN at the funeral. Got it installed today, but....

Question for anyone out there... When your key is turned off and everything is off, do you have power coming out of the motor controller for the A/C motor? If not, I have bigger problems than the motor...

After I got all the bolts tightened up and the belt in place, I decided to connect the molex from the controller to the motor and give it a test run... MAJOR SPARKS!!!! Burnt one of the pins in the molex connector! I never imagined that there would be power to the motor with everything turned off! I got out the voltage meter and sure enough, full pack voltage was coming through. So, I pulled the fuse from the controller. Tested the connector again and still had full voltage! Whats up with that??? Confused

I pulled the fuse from the fuse box (A/C fuse) and STILL HAD PACK VOLTAGE AT THE MOLEX OUTPUT TO THE MOTOR!!! Evil or Very Mad

My next step is to disconnect the main pack and do some wire chasing to first figure out how I could possibly get voltage to the controller when the A/C fuse is disconnected. Second, open up the controller box and figure out why I have voltage passing through when the controller fuse is disconnected. And third, why the motor wouldn't spin up when I attempted to connect the molex and voltage passed into the motor.

Just to test the motor, I connected a battery to it and it ran fine on 12 volts, slow, but fine. I connected 2 and it went much faster on 24 volts. Now I have to figure out the other problems. That will be a couple weeks since I'm going out of town again for a trip to WI. Hopefully for the last TIME! At least to Green Bay anyway. Still will make the trip to Tom's house when ever possible. Great BBQ! Very Happy

So, any help from the rest???

Jimmy Argon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: A/C motor AND P/S Controllers Reply with quote

Major,
Well I have a problem lately with my PS controller that sounds very similar to your A/C power problem. I was trying to extend my range one day and unplugged my P/S motor from the controller WRONG! A few days later I went to plug in the motor and - pow sparks every where and 20 amp fuse blown. Long story short - My controller has at least one blown Mosfet (irfp250)- of course on.
My first guess is the controllers will do this if there is no load for a long period of time, can anyone verify this?
Major - your input to the A/C controller should be fused in the box , since it melted a pin your fuse may be a large slow blow (or alum foil wrapped around it!), it should be a 20 amp slow blow. When you have the controller disconnected check to see if you have continuity between power in and power out if so, you may have a similar problem to mine. In the PS controller the mosfet switches the low side. I also have an A/C controller I will be fixing and let you know what I find out. By the time I am done I hope to be able to fix these controllers if anyone needs it.
Jimmy
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy,
I opened up my controller and it looks as though one or more of the 3 mosfets is blown as well. I didn't realize they blow "full on" instead of a broken circuit. A friend is an electrical wiz so I'm going to have him take a look at it.

If you get to know these things better, let me know. I bet we aren't the only ones in need of some help.

Jimmy Argon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: A/C AND P/S Controller repair Reply with quote

Well I fixed the PS controller. It was the Mosfet and a coulple other parts that were blown. The scary part is when the mosfet blows on - it delivers the full battery voltage to the motor. In my case 155vdc! Luckilly no major damage and I only needed to clean off the commutator. Major - This may have been what cooked your A/C motor if your power-in is not fused. If anyone has an A/C or PS controller that needs repair - I would be willing to repar it at a resonable price.
Jimmy

MajorWilson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jimmy
I'll keep you in mind. I've got a good friend that can probably help me out. If we can't get-r-done I'll mail it to you. Smile

Jimmy Argon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: A/C AND P/S Controller repair Reply with quote

Sounds good Major. If anyone needs repairs contact me at: zetaomega2000@yahoo.com/
Jimmy
terryjm1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My AC motor is still at the rebuilder. They say they are having trouble finding brushes that are the right hardness, or lack of hardness. They say they found brushes to fit, but are too hard. Any ideas on this?
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll call the guy that rebuilt mine. It's Jim Husted from the EVDL list at Hi Torque electric.

terryjm1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: A late update Reply with quote

When I finally got my AC motor back from the rebuilder, the grand total came to $246. That only included new brushes, bearings, and seals. The builder stated the brushes were made of a softer compund than what was commonly found "off the shelf," so they claim to have sent the old ones to a brush manufacturer to have a set made. They also broke the pully removing it, so they had to replace it. I was surprised they were able to find one and relatively quickly.

Additionally, I used a DC30-500 motor controller as my original one was fried. It had previously failed and the repair the previous owner made was very sloppy. It was determined to abandon the original one and try the DC30-500.

I did not have time to install the motor and controller until the day before the new owner was to have the transport company pick it up. It worked perfectly though.

I purchased 4 of the DC30-500 controllers (cheap price) hoping they would work. Now I wish I had picked up a few more. Internally there is very little difference in the D30-500 and DC30-276.

MajorWilson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $300 for my rebuild. Jim had the motor rewound and surfaced the com and then put in a new set of brushes and seated them for me. New bearings and a complete paint job. It really looks pretty! Brand New! If anyone has DC motor problems, I would recommend Jim. Shipping can get a little expensive on bigger motors but man does he do a 1st rate professional job for a reasonable price.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PortEV Forum Index -> Solectria E-10 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: