PortEV Forum Index PortEV
Electric Vehicle Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E10 drive belts??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryjm1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: E10 drive belts?? Reply with quote

I have been considering picking up some spare drive belts since I purchased my E10. Well, I should have stopped considering and started buying a long time ago.

Pulling away from a stop light one of the belts broke. Fortunately, it was just one. So I pulled over and unplugged the controller supplying the motor which was still spinning rapidly after I pulled over. I drove home slowly trying to be carefully to not stress the remaining belt.

This morning I pulled the cover off the belt drive housing and removed both belts. I was amazed at how small and thin they are. Motorcycle drive belts are at least 5 times as large.

They are Gates Poly Chain GT belts. I was happy to see a familiar manufacturer. When I arrived at the local auto parts store the counterman was able to locate the Gates Poly Chain GT 2 belt series after about 10 minutes of looking through books and the Gates website.

All good news so far. However, it was not all good.

Apparantly the GT series has been replaced by the newer and 30% stronger GT 2 series. I thought that was great. Unfortunately, the website recommends against using the GT 2 belt in place of the GT. Apparently the belts are paired with sprockets specific to the design of the belt.

The website does not say you can not use the newer belt on the older sprocket design. But, it warns that bushing damage may result. What bushing might they be referring?

Im not sure if Gates will have the sprockets for our E10 trucks and perhaps if they do it would not be a big deal or great expense to replace the two smaller motor mounted sprockets. They look pretty easy to remove.

However, if the big driveshaft mounted sprocket is available, I'll bet it is pretty expensive.

So I figure I have three options.

1. Replace just the belts and hope for the best.

2. Replace only the motor mounted sprockets to match the new belts. I figure the motor mounted ones are the most critical as they are subject to the most localized torque. The larger sprocket has a much greater area to spread the pressure out.

3. Replace everything if the parts are available. My pocket will not be happy at all with this option.

Please weigh in with your thoughts. If anyone has a better idea, please let me know. I would like to be able to order the belts, and sprockets if needed, on July 5th.

Last edited by terryjm1 on Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
terryjm1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading and rereading the information on the website, I think it is acceptable to use the GT 2 belts in our E10s. I purchased a pair and they should be here next week. I will post the results when I have them.

The Gates PolyChain GT2 part number is 8MGT-1120-12 and the product number is 92750140.

Here is the number translation. 8 millimeter pitch GT series, 1120 mm length, and 12 mm width.

Reading through the website gave me some good ideas for my E10 AC55 extended cab project.

ThomasHudson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. I have six of the GT belts on hand -- I bought a bunch a couple of years ago. Solectria recommends replacing them once a year, but I've had mine on there for several years and no problems.

Mine are the 8M-1120-12 version of the belt; maybe you can locate some online. Hmmm. A quick Google search only turns up the 8mGT version...

I'll see if I can locate the dealer where I got mine; maybe they'll have some old stock.

terryjm1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom. I hope the GT2 belts work, but I sure would like to have a source for the GT belts just in case they will not.

I searched Google and found a surplus supplier that had almost every other size except the one I needed.

If the GT2 belts work, I will certainly post that result here. Additionally, if they work I'll probably buy several like you did.

ThomasHudson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, please price out the sprockets and let us know where they're available. That would be good information.

Sure sucks that these stupid engineers can't leave the design of something like this alone. On the other hand, do they say if the new design is quieter than the existing one? I've always thought the truck sounded kind of science-fictiony going down the street with the whine from the belts...

I've looked through all my old emails and web-based receipts and can't locate the purchase of the belts. Maybe I just did it over the phone.

terryjm1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the GT2 belts can be used in place of the older GT belts. The Gates district representative returned my email this morning. He let me know they have not produced the GT belts in 6 years. I guess that means my belts were at least 6 years old.

Additionally, the belts can be ordered from almost any auto parts store that can provide gates belts. I also asked him to provide me details on replacement sprockets. I expect to hear back on that issue after the holiday.

Ok, now the bad news. The belts are $84 each as priced from my local Carquest. For an el-cheapo guy like me, that is a real bummer. I did find an on-line supplier that sells them for $45 each, but Im unsure they will sell retail. I had to register my business just to get a price.

Fortunately, I found some on ebay for $19 each and snatched them right up.

When I receive them and get them on the truck, I will again post the results.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PortEV Forum Index -> Solectria E-10 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: