PortEV Forum Index PortEV
Electric Vehicle Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voltage Transformer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorWilson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Voltage Transformer Reply with quote

Recently I've found myself wanting to run more errands after work and since my truck is limited to about 40 miles when the weather is cold, I have to revert to the ICE car after I get home from work. I can charge at work but there are no 220 volt outlets in the parking garage. So, I really can't charge at work like I would want to.

I was reading the EVDL recently and there was a lot of talk about bad boy chargers. I really don't want a badboy charger because I don't have the time to monitor the charging while I'm at work. However, that got me thinking about a step up transformer that I could plug into a 110 volt outlet and then plug into that with my charger to charge the batteries.

Anyone know of any easy way to make a 110v - 220v transformer?

If I'm pulling 15 amps with the 220v charger, would that require a 30 amp 110v outlet to provide the power to the charger?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Plug in the cord... not the pump!
ThomasHudson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily pick up step-up transformers from electrical supply stores. The trick is getting something that will provide the current you want. This link shows several options, up to 5000W, which surprised me -- I thought it would be harder to find something like this!

http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/step-up-transformer-2.html#vt4000

You want at least 3300W continuous. Fortunately, the 4000 and 5000-watt units are pretty inexpensive.

Then you need, yes, something like 30A input current @ 120V. (3300W / 120V = 27.5A).

On an unrelated topic, did you get your truck working again after the unexpected stoppage?

MajorWilson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tom. I'll look into those transformers and see what I can find.

On the topic of my power outage, I posted a new subject to see if anyone else has had this happen.

And... it just started working when I got back home on Monday after my trip to Green Bay.

Plug in the cord... not the pump!
Jimmy Argon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: bad-grandpa charger Reply with quote

Major,
I think I built one of these chargers a while back. It is best to use an isolation transformer to avoid tripping the GFI circuit when your leakage current goes over 10 milliamps (I know - fix the leak). I use a 5KW transformer and a 220v reostat (torroid) in series with one of the legs to the full wave bridge rectifier. I stopped using the wiper or brush and soldered taps along the coil. One trick to minimize the output ripple is to put an open core inductor on the positive dc output.
Needless to say, it weighs around 150 pounds. I have it in an old Tectronics Osilliscope stand with a couple muffin fans. This is my main charger and I have it set up that 10 hrs on a dead (150 v, T125 Trojan) pack is a full charge. I have used it for 13 years.

I have built a 110 v charger with a 1KW step up transformer and was trying to keep the weight down. I originally used a 110 v toroid but it weighes around 25 pounds and have been trying to find a way to avoid using it but it doesnt look good. I pull around 7 amps DC, it doesnt blow the breaker but the plug gets hot and I cant use it without the torroid. Does anyone know of another way to regulate the current output?
Thanks,
Jimmy

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: 110 works fine Reply with quote

The charger will accept 110. It's a slow charge but I know 17 Amp hours are replaced after 8 hours of work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PortEV Forum Index -> General EV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: